cravings, and overall managing your diet? We are busier than ever as a society, and for most people, it is difficult to manage proper food intake among the many tasks that must be done day-to-day. Because of this, many are turning to the FDA-approved weight loss medicine semaglutide. Read below to understand how semaglutide works and why it helps with weight loss.
Semaglutide (also known as Wegovy® or Ozempic®) is in a class of medications called glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) agonists. GLP-1 agonists work by stimulating your pancreas to increase insulin. This additional insulin causes the stomach to empty over a longer period of time. The idea of the stomach processing food more slowly can seem counterintuitive to patients. The slow and consistent digestion is an early step in the chain reaction that makes semaglutide an effective weight loss drug.
When the stomach takes more time to empty itself of food, it sends signals of “fullness” to the brain. The end result of this process is a powerful appetite suppression effect based on the patient’s own natural insulin production. This means patients can benefit from medical-assisted weight loss without any need for invasive surgeries or harsh stimulants.
A semaglutide regimen will also lead to healthier blood sugar levels, which can help patients feel more energetic throughout their day. Stabilized and controlled blood sugar levels can also help improve other areas of overall health, including cardiovascular benefits.
Here are some key points regarding semaglutide and weight loss:
- Clinical Trials: Studies have demonstrated that higher doses of semaglutide can lead to significant weight loss in individuals with obesity. In some trials, participants who took semaglutide lost more weight compared to those who took a placebo or other weight loss medications.
- Mechanism of Action: Semaglutide works by mimicking the action of a natural hormone called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1). This hormone helps regulate appetite and food intake. By activating GLP-1 receptors in the brain, semaglutide can reduce hunger and increase feelings of fullness, which can lead to reduced calorie intake and subsequent weight loss.
- Dosage: For weight loss purposes, semaglutide is typically prescribed at higher doses than those used for diabetes management. The specific dosage will depend on the individual and their healthcare provider’s recommendation.
- Adverse Effects: As with any medication, semaglutide may have side effects. These can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation. These side effects are generally mild and tend to improve over time.
- Medical Supervision: Semaglutide for weight loss should be prescribed and monitored by a healthcare professional. They will consider your individual health status, potential interactions with other medications, and any underlying medical conditions.
- Long-Term Use: Semaglutide takes a minimum of 4-6 months to truly experience the weight loss benefits. Longer use is recommended to help maintain the weight lost.
At Aesthetic Body Design, we have a robust Medically Assisted Weight Loss Program where we are actively involved with you, and we create a customized treatment plan, using semaglutide as a foundation, for your weight loss success. Contact us today to book a complimentary consultation with our medical professional to see if semaglutide is right for you: Call 503-575-7653 or email us at email@example.com.
Aesthetic Body Design is located at 19365 SW 65th Ave., Suite 104 Tualatin, OR 97062.